Thursday, December 13, 2007

My old friend... the shovel

This is not really a blog with spiritual meaning. At least I don't think it is.

My old friend the shovel. I have been doing battle with the elements some of the day. As winter begins I put the faded red push shovel into my vehicle and it goes where I go. I believe that I have had this shovel longer than my bride. But that is another story. In any case it is an old friend. It is just right. You cannot buy push shovels like it anymore. It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. Not too heavy and not too light. Comfortable and familiar, it has been with me through 2007 - the winter that wasn't, then WAS. It has cleared ice, snow and slush. It has done walks and driveways and even roofs. It was not with me in the blizzard of 1977, but it was my best friend in March of 1993 - about the last time I cancelled church. Last year the handle started to fall off. Fortunately I caught it in time - shovels are not much of any good without the handle. The current pushers have that metal edge - too much for some circumstances.

But, alas that plastic edge is starting to fail, not that beautiful smooth line it once gave. Maybe a year or two more. Without my old friend maybe I should give thought to not wintering in the snow belt anymore. I always say, "I love the snow and hate the cold." But the truth is that I am not taking the snow as well as I used to. Well, thank you God for the snow. And thank you for the old friend the faded red push shovel. After all, you created everything... and called it good. Right?

No comments: