Monday, December 24, 2007

Where You Are, Where You Been and Where You Going

Most popular gift this year for adults seems to be the GPS. My grandson says, "Get a Garmin." Which is probably a sales slogan. Anyway, we seem to think we want to know where we are. We don't want to get lost. We savor the security of the electronic wizard. We boaters know, "Always have the paper charts in case the electronics go down." Side note, the fancy boats have this autopilot that will take you back the way you came. It remembers the 'waypoints." No, I do not have that fancy stuff.

What about spiritual GPS? Where are you on your life journey? Do you know what the next few turns ahead are going to be? I know where I will be tonight - with Mary and Joseph at the stable of Bethlehem, "She kept all these things and pondered them in her heart." I will also be with family. That is always a joy. I have taken my Sabbath in the midweek the past 2 weeks to examine myself to see where I am and to think about the year to come. All I know for sure is that GPS for me will have to include - going into the Word of God daily, making and singing Christ- centered music, reading other books that push me to be a better pastor and person, getting together with some of the guys in my church, meeting with my accountability group and keeping up the Mission work in Uganda and East Africa.

I am always open to great suggestions of books that will be of help.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Alan

No comments: