Thursday, January 10, 2008

Urgency

Luke 9:59 "He said to another man, follow me. But the man replied, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." Jesus said, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the Kingdom of God"
Sounds cruel to say that you need to follow and not even bury your father. Nothing says that the man's father has died, just that he is not ready to come right now, he needs to wait and bury his father. If daddy is not dead it could be years and this is an excuse.
The kingdom of God is more important and more ugent than some of our customs and politeness. You don't have to agree with me on this, but I believe that it is more important and urgent than our excuses. "I can't because of this or that."
This whole section of scripture speaks of urgency. Get up, get going, leave the excuses... there is work to be done. There is also a matter of focus. I have been known to spread myself a little "thin" at times and then I am not focused on the most important things. Many things can distract from the best thing- we get to choose.
As I read scripture I read that some dropped their nets and folloowed Jesus. Some wanted to jump in and go to work or learn from our Lord. But others have excuses, questions, arguments to "strain at gnats" and still others work for Him in the contexts where they are already placed.
Do you have a sense of urgency? Does our Church have it? Does our denomination have it? Jesus was urgent... "follow me, let the dead bury the dead, don't look back, if you see your neighbor in need..."
Think on these things. How is your urgency in God's kingdom work these days?

No comments: