Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The 30

Last Sunday was my 30th anniversary for Ordination as Deacon and my 25 anniversary of Ordination as Elder in the United Methodist Church. Oh what things we have seen in these years. I remember some of the benchmarks I thought would be important. I remember some of the dreams. I think I have always focused on souls, but sometimes did not know what process to use. I think I have always wanted to serve God first with a whole heart, but things got in the way. A couple of turning points or change points would be first trip to Uganda - wow, that was a big one. then call to church planting and that was a major step of change. I remain a missionary and that fed into church planting. I have that desire to approach all of ministry as a missionary. I also know that does not sit well with everybody. But I press on.

I believe that I am entering another of those turning points. It will be a good one and a large one. Every appointment I have had called out new and different leadership skills in me. This phase might just be more "coach" than "expert." A coach calls out the best in those on the team. The discipline of a coach is that even if you know how to do what needs to be done you must call it out or call whatever it is out of the ones being coached. We'll see how this goes. And, in this case, again I submit myself to coaching.

There's that funny thing - Tiger Woods - great golfer, millionaire, father... still gets coaching to keep on getting better. Several pastors I respect, learn from and enjoy are getting coached even as they coach others. What am I afraid of?

No comments: