Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Mark 4

The parable of the sower is one of Jesus' parables that he also explains. A sower goes out to sow - some seed falls on path, rocks, birds, thorns and some even in fertile soil. In the parable and in life the sower/farmer sows even though they know some will not yield a result. They still sow the seed. Just like I do both in preaching and in my daily life. But in some cases WOW great fruit. A high yield. But the point is to sow no matter what. One guarantee - no sowing, no reaping. Not even a little.
Wouldn't you love to have a guaranteed evangelism plan or talk that always produces results? Sure, I would too. But that is one of the secrets of the Kingdom. No one plan works for everyone and gets results every time. Here is what I say - we invest ourselves and our lives. In the long run it will pay off. Some of the fruit I see from my ministry is not immediately evident. So, like happened a few months ago, I learn about it 20 years later. Kid you not. Someone tracked me down and told me how my tough love and a corrective measure had turned out well for them 20 years later and they wanted to let me know and thank me. Don't miss the second sowing message in this chapter Mark 4:26 the sower does not understand the growing seed in the ground, but it comes up and there is a harvest.
As in agriculture - I sow and do not always see and understand what is going on underground with that seed and plant. But I do understand when I see fruit or grain and I thank GOD for the growth. It was not me, I was only a part of what God was doing. The one who planted the seed to see if I would grow is watching what I am doing in response to His seed scattering.

This great chorus is by Tommy Walker - He Knows My Name
I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in his hands

I have a Father
He calls me His own
He'll never leave me
No matter where I go

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And He hears me when I call

I seem to remember another line to this "He know my every weakness he heals me when I fall." Maybe i made it up I don't know. But I put it out there anyway.

No comments: