Thursday, January 8, 2009

Mark 6

Mark 6:5 And because of their unbelief, he couldn't do any miracles among them except to place his hands on a few sick and heal them. And He was amazed at their unbelief.

This does not fit the Jesus I know. I believe he can do miracles and has the power to do miracles if I want to have them or not. But I see the point, why do the miracles if there is unbelief. Kindof like casting pearls before swine. It is not that he did nothing, just that he did less in that area because of the unbelief.

Note - the end of the same chapter 6:56 "... they begged him to let the sick touch at least the fringe of his robe, and all who touched him were healed."

So... this unbelief or belief is a factor in miracles. Jesus may withold them due to a culture of unbelief. What does this say to those who explain the miracles of the Bible with scientific demythologizing or explanations like (they had the sandwiches hidden in their robes and brought them out ... thus creating the multiplication of the loaves and fish)?

What does this say to me when I seem to lack a miracle believing faith... such as "I do not see the finances as being predictably adequate, etc.?" Am I in disbelief? Do I hinder the miracle work of God? I say I believe and I do believe in them. But am I fooling myself with a little distance, a bit of scepticism or simply not having my whole heart in prayer for the miracles we desire?

See the difference in the enviromments at beginning of the chapter and at the end. The Geresene hometown and the Genessaret area across the way. I certainly want to live out and create a space for miracles to happen. How's your miracle quotient?

No comments: