Monday, November 12, 2007

Loving What You Do

I always appreciate people who seem to love what they do. Two recently come to mind. Brett Favre who, by the way, had a great day yesterday while being knocked woozy. A couple seasons ago Brett went on a serious re-conditioning program so that he could play better. He realized he was getting older and needed to be in high level conditioning to play the sport he loved longer. And he certainly is doing that as he breaks records. The other person is a soldier, husband of a friend. He is nearing retirement. His job is training. But he is now called up to return to Iraq. Our conversation with his wife anticipated that he might be feeling poorly. No. He is ready to roll. Loves being a soldier and to quote her, "It is what he does!" I love that.
I love being a pastor. I love the call of God within that call to be a missionary to Uganda. It is what I do. I hope that it shows. There are some potholes along the way that interfere with my journey and make it more difficult if not challenging. But I love what I do, pastoring and working with people. I am also insanely crazy about working in the mission field. That really makes me get up in the morning. The aforementioned D Min degree is a part of being a better pastor and missionary. Shalom.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think all to often there is a difference between loving what you do and who you do it for. I love being a pastor, and I love pastoring the church I am in. However, I am not sure that I am always crazy about the larger institution which I am a part of.

Alan said...

The Christmas Conference of 1784 in America adopted the formulation "to reform the continent and to spread scriptural holiness over these lands." Within our system/institution/tribe we have much work to do.