Monday, April 14, 2008

Do you hear what I hear?

The prophet Samuel tells King Saul to destroy the Amalekites completely. Saul and soldiers do battle, they capture the king Agag and they destroy the weak sheep, cattle, etc. but keep the good ones. Saul reports back to Samuel and says, "I have carried out the Lord's instructions." And Samuel replies, "Then what is that bleeting of sheep in my ears...?" The conclusion is that Saul is rejected as king. He is not obedient and he makes his own plans. God delights in obedience.

Before I am too rough on old Saul I probably have to examine myself. When am I guilty of disobedience of God? When do I carry out only part of the calling or plan God gave me? The whole thing kindof reminds me of when you are a kid and you say you have done the chore your parents assigned, but you did it half heartedly or halfway. What is this bleeting of sheep I hear? What is this lowing of cattle? Why have you still put off reconciling with your brother in Christ? What are you waiting for?

Be very careful as you read scripture that you make it so then and there that you do not allow it to speak to your here and now.

No comments: