Thursday, April 3, 2008

No king

Judges 17:6 "In those days Israel had no king, everyone did as he saw fit." No king, no earthly leader... this could lead to trouble. Of course Israel had great kings and bad kings, so having an earthly king was not always trouble free. Good, moral, loving earthly leaders are usually a positive thing for the growth and good life of people.

Louise alerted me to events in our back yard this morning. A big ole turkey. I don't exactly live in the country. In a few moments we not only had a turkey, we had a parade. 14 of those big beautiful multi meal dinners. They were seeking the remnants of any grain under the bird feeder. The big Tom was just big and he was reviewing the front and back of the parade. He never spread his feathers, he did not have to. He simply lead and spoke as necessary. Two other smaller Toms were 'herding" the rest. Our yellow kitty(killer) was at the patio door in awe. She was so in awe she was not chirping and spitting at them like she does with squirrels, crows, birds and other cats. I could not see the whole but I finally figured out the the small Toms who had their tail feathers spread were warning another yellow kitty to stay away. It was hiding behind the tree in it's own awe. Louise was trying to take pictures and I was studying the process. Eventually the boss led the flock thru the back yard and on to better feeding grounds.

If every one of the turkey did what it saw fit they would be more susceptible to predators and the hit an miss of where the food is. Hopefully Tom and company knew where to find the good stuff. My King is Jesus. I do 'like to do as I see fit' and rely on myself. But I also know that God has placed leaders over me and leaders around me. For the good of the whole flock.

Thank you, God, for the parables of nature and the living lessons all around me.

No comments: